shecurmudgeon

Lost Cat-- art, memoir, unexpected surprises

Lost Cat: A True Story of Love, Desperation, and GPS Technology - Caroline Paul, Wendy MacNaughton

I'll admit, I bought the hardcover book from B & N online because I had a coupon & because I am a fan of the illustrator & author's partner, Wendy McNaughton.  I figured it had drawings by Wendy McNaughton about cats & San Francisco, even if I didn't like anything else it would still be money well spent subsidizing an artist I've come to really adore.

I didn't expect to be drawn so much into the lives of the author, Caroline Paul, or her cats, the tale of the developing relationship with McNaughton as Paul recovers from a bad accident, or the occasionally (to me) silly efforts Paul goes to track her once-lost and now-returned Lost Cat.

The "twist" at the end, such as it was, was emotionally surprising & more wrenching than what I thought it would be, and turned what I had expected to be a more lighthearted memoir into something more along the lines of Gail Caldwell's Let's Take the Long Way Home, in terms of the depth of emotion & resonance of the themes Paul evokes.

A little uneven in places, hence the 4 stars, but the art is terrific and overall it's a wonderful story about love of all kinds.