shecurmudgeon

Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar

Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar - Cheryl Strayed I have become a pusher when it comes to this book, because it gives me (as they say on the internet) all the feelings. All of them, all at once. I still haven't finished "Wild," but this book, with its short, raw, loving, too-honest answers to too-difficult questions written by too-broken and oh-so-brave people? I hand it to anyone looking for a memoir, to anyone looking for a divorce or relationship or grieving book in my bookstore's self-help section, to anyone who says they just like good, honest non-fiction. I hand it to anyone who asks me what the most important book I read last year was, though it's a tight race with Ann Lamott's "Help, Thanks, Wow" right now. That old joke about Cats applies to this book. I laughed, I cried, I fell down (metaphorically). It changed my life, because I couldn't ever imagine having written to Sugar (Cheryl Strayed) much less steeling myself for her answers, and yet. And yet. You read each heartbreaking letter and each loving, heartbreaking, heartmending response, and find yourself nodding along. Some of the letters are just-- "Yes, that's my life exactly," or a punch to the gut because where, where was Dear Sugar when this was happening to you, because if Sugar had told you, oh, all the things you might not have had to feel...But then you realize, as you blow your snotty nose and finish the letter someone else has written that echoes your life, that it's all OK. Because you learned pretty much what Sugar said you would, and you lived, and if you're not quite OK yet, well, you will be, and not just because someone else out there had to deal with the same BS as you-- but because you now have a book in your hands that you can push on somebody else and say-- "Read this. It's better than Cats. It will make you laugh and cry. It will make you more honest and thoughtful about what you want from your one precious life. It will change your life. Also, the orange cover is cheery."You'll find your own way to say it without soundling like a whackjob. That's what Sugar is for.